Sunday, October 27, 2013

Lou Reed passing on

© Janet Macoska
Lou Reed finally succumbed to liver failure, despite a transplant back in June. I guess alcohol, drugs and Hepatitis had disintegrated his original one. With Basquiat, Warhol and now Reed gone, that era of music and artistic innovation feels further and further from our reach.

Lou Reed in one of the most influential rock groups ever: Velvet Underground.

The first time I heard this was on the Trainspotting Soundtrack. It opened my eyes to a whole new world of music. This song immediately takes me back to an abyss of nostalgic woes: unrequited love, seedy New York, and for some reason this book, which I imagined embodied the New York of Lou Reed's time: drugs, unscrupulous sex, close calls, and digging really deep into the possibilities of living and dying.


This would definitely be one of the albums I'd take to the deserted island with me. I know because it has a revival in my playlist every few years. I can pick it up and listen to it on repeat like it's new all over again.